Upcoming changes to the Post-9/11 GI Bill
The Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Improvements Act of 2010 was recently signed into law. This law has many changes that will affect both schools and students.
A current list of the changes for students can be found by clicking here.
The list below highlights changes of particular interest to School Certifying Officials.
- Reporting fees paid to schools increases from $7 to $12 and $11 to $15 per student per year
- Requires that reporting fees only be used for the purpose of certification
- Standard college degree programs offered at accredited public and private-not-for-profit schools are deemed already approved for VA Education Benefits
- Non-college degree programs, on-the-job training, and flight training programs are now covered (effective October 1, 2011)
- Allows the VA to use SAAs for compliance and oversight duties
- Allows VA to disapprove courses